Boondocking is what we do best! This is our preferred way to to camp and we have found some amazing, epic places we want to share with you! But we are also members of Boondockers Welcome, Escapees and Thousand Trails. So we’re here to share our tips on all the locations we stay in Virginia. We are full time RV travelers, so we will be updating this blog often! Come back often!
Boondocking (Free Camping) in a Big Rig
- Did you know you can stay 2 nights in the Eastern Shore Welcome Center? It’s certainly not the most epic of views, or the most quiet, but seriously easy, good cell service, and a flat area to park. GPS: 37.133955, -75.965563
- Dismal Swamp CoE (Corp of Engineers) Chesapeake – GPS: 36.604442, -76.381418. Paved, quite open year round, and big rig friendly. Good cell service and trash cans available.
- Several places to boondock in the George Washington National Forest. Fulks Run, Virginia GPS: 38.605652, -78.957977 – This is a popular horse riding area, so big rigs definitely fit.
- Holly Brook, Virginia GPS: 37.199093, -80.886757 – This place is beautiful!
- Oronoco Campground – Vesuvilis, VA GPS 37.746931, -79.263976. We loved this place! We were the only ones there at the time. A few sites did have some trash, which we picked up and carried out. There are bathrooms here, but this place isn’t highly maintained. It was still a beautiful place to camp, quiet and though we didn’t stay too long there is some strange history to this place, as they had a monument across the street. Only downside was there is absolutely no cell service here. Neither Verizon or AT&T worked when we were there in 2019.
We are very new members of Thousand Trails. So come back soon! We plan to check out the VA Thousand Trails parks this fall! Which ones are your favorite?
- Williamsburg RV – Williamsburg
- Virginia Landing – Quinby
- Lynchburg – Gladys
- Harbor View RV – Colonial Beach
- Chesapeake Bay – Gloucester
Check out our list of hidden gems and fun, unique things to do in Virginia! Chick the button below!
Don’t forget! This list will be updated as we travel. Share your favorite amazing boondocking and RV camping locations with us! We’d love to hear about them!
Looking for some RV Camping in other states? Check out some of our other blog posts.
Plus! Here are some great resources we think you’ll love!
- How We Spent $48 in Camping Fees for the Whole Year
- Boondocking Resources – And Where to Find Them
- RV Solar – A Free PDF to Determine Your Appliance Power
Thank you for visiting our blog! We hope you find value in our information and we’d we love to hear your best tips!
So – You’re shopping on Amazon? I mean who doesn’t, right? Please consider using our link. It doesn’t cost you anything extra, and it gives us a few extra pennies. Click below to use our link and then just shop like normal. Don’t forget ~ check out within 24 hours so we get credit! Thank you!! It means a lot to us!