Boondocking is what we do best! This is our preferred way to camp and we have found some amazing, epic places we want to share with you! But we are also members of Boondockers Welcome, Escapees and Thousand Trails. So we’re here to share our tips on all the locations we stayed while traveling in Texas. We live and travel full time in our RV, so we will be updating this blog often! Come back often!
- Encampment – GPS: 41.211333, -106.792139. This is an amazing spot with free hook-ups (they encourage a donation). You can stay 3 days here. We loved it here and explored the town and the museum, which has some fascinating history.
- Palisades Reservoir – Indian Creek. GPS: 43.244523, -111.110526 Free. Access is easy, and length is unlimited. Epic views, and Afton (which is where the Intermittent Spring)
- Granite Creek – GPS: 43.296483, -110.502150 There are several spots in a 5-8 mile area here. Just keep following the dirt road down. Because of weather, and possible closings, my advice is to unhook and scout a location. Make sure your size rig is good to get down the road. Dirt roads are so unpredictable.
- Spread Creek National Forest – GPS: 43.775901, -110.511950. If you’re heading to the Tetons, this is your place! It’s about 20 minutes from the entrance to the National Park, and a beautiful, clean boondocking area. When we visited, there was a 5-day max stay, so make sure you check out the length of stay, and that it fits your needs. Lots of big rig friendly spots.
- Schwabacher’s Landing GPS: 43.7638, -110.5538 A perfect boondocking spot if you want to head to the Grand Tetons NP
- Wheatland WY City Park – GPS: 42.04763, -104.953217 (not pictured) Free electric hook-ups, with free water and dump in the park. They ask if you are staying more than a couple of nights, that you leave a donation. It is right next to a train that runs through which didn’t bother us. Not the epic views we love but have to say it was nice to be able to have free water, electric hookups, and dump.
- Wind River Casino – GPS: 42.983322, -108.393928 – I didn’t get any pictures here, but there is plenty of room for your big rig here. Electric hookups in the parking lot for $25 per night. OR you can just stay for free with no hook-ups. Normally we wouldn’t pay that, but it was 96* in July. Really awesome hotel and casino. Great people. WiFi service provided by the hotel, but we had a hard time getting any services to work. For one night it worked out ok. 50amp service pedestals are brand new (2019).
- Lovell Camper Park – GPS: 44.841944, -108.383498 Awesome, free city park. No hookups but they do have a dump station and fresh drinking water to fill your tanks for free. Also, there are bathrooms, with showers (we didn’t inspect them but it was a very clean and maintained area so I’m assuming they were very nice). There are also large dumpsters for trash. As you can see, the spot we have is a pull-thru spot. But we did back into it (Justin is a rock star!) because it was easier for him to just back all the way in from the entrance vs. making the loop in which the turns were a little sharp. So I’m making this a big rig friendly park, but as you can see from the picture, it was a little tight.
With so many boondocking areas in Wyoming, we didn’t stay in any paid campgrounds. We’d love you to share your suggestions for paid campgrounds!
Want to check out all the amazing hidden gems we found in Wyoming? Click the button below to be taken to our Off The Beaten Path in Wyoming blog post!
Thank you for visiting our little corner of the internet. This blog will be continuously updated as we travel. We hope you found value in our information. Here are a few more blogs we think you’ll love!
- Tiny Town with Big Stories ~ Encampment, WY
- Off the Beaten Path in Idaho. Hidden Gems You Shouldn’t Miss!
- Boondocking ~ How We Spent $48 in Camping Fees For The Whole Year
- Off the Beaten Path in Arizona. Unique and Hidden Places to Visit.
- The Best Tips for Organizing Your RV Stuff
So – You’re shopping on Amazon? I mean who doesn’t, right? Please consider using our link. It doesn’t cost you anything extra, and it gives us a few extra pennies. Click below to use our link and then just shop like normal. Don’t forget ~ check out within 24 hours so we get credit! Thank you!! It really means a lot to us!