Boondocking is what we do best! This is our preferred way to camp and we have found some amazing, epic places we want to share with you! But we are also members of Boondockers Welcome, Escapees and Thousand Trails. So we’re here to share our tips on all the locations we have stayed in Colorado. We are full-time RV travelers, so we will be updating this blog often! Come back often!
Colorado is one of our favorite places for boondocking! The possibilities are plentiful, and the landscape is just absolutely breathtaking!
- Twin Lakes – GPS: 35.866676, -101.979454 – We loved this area! So much so that we went back twice. There are no facilities here at all. No trash, water, electric or sewer.
- Salida – Mt. Shavano – GPS: 38.56279, -105.12243 & 38.5559137, -106.1178141- There are several places great for big rigs up on Mt. Shavano. The 2nd time we went, the road up had definitely gotten worse but we still made it up dragging our 40′ 5th wheel. Amazing views.
- Rio Blanco Lake SWA – GPS: 40.08879, -108.20527 (see video below)
- Leadville – GPS: 39.248109, -106.370204 (also featured in video below)
- Browns Creek – GPS: 38.694273, -106.142797 & GPS: 38.702823, -106.160151
To see our complete travel map with cell phone speeds and more pictures, check out our travel map here!
Paid RV Campgrounds
We try very hard to not use paid campgrounds but once in a while, we’ve had to do it for one reason or another.
- Four Seasons RV Park – Salida, CO. This RV park is way over priced, and terrible, close parking. I would not recommend this RV park unless you’re ok paying $50 a night to be packed very tight.
- Monarch Spur RV Park – Salida, CO. Another very tight RV park, and pretty over priced, though not quite as expensive as the one above. We only stayed here long enough to use the laundry and dump and fill our tanks.
Looking for unique and different things to do in Colorado? Click the button below to check out our Off The Beaten Path in Colorado blog post!
We hope you find value and joy in some of our recommendations. We’d love to hear some of your amazing places to stay in Colorado. Especially free boondocking areas.
Here are a few other blogs we think you’ll love!
- Our Top 7 Free Camping Spots and Boondocking Tips
- Top Places to Visit in Fall in the USA
- Our Epic Florida Springs Kayaking Trip
- Thinking About Solar? Calculating Your Needs
- RV Camping in Georgia
So – You’re shopping on Amazon? I mean who doesn’t, right? Please consider using our link. It doesn’t cost you anything extra, and it gives us a few extra pennies. Click below to use our link and then just shop like normal. Don’t forget ~ check out within 24 hours so we get credit! Thank you!! It really means a lot to us!